www.flickr.com
almadbren's items Go to almadbren's photostream

Monday, February 01, 2010

Sheeeeees Baaaaaack.

After receiving an email about the February theme for NoBloPoMo - ties - I thought, it's time for me to come back to blogging.

My last post was May, 2009. It's funny when I sit here and think back to May 2009 and all that has happened in my life since then.

You see ladies, (not sure there are any gentlemen out there reading) I needed to take a little time off for a few things. What few things, you might ask? Well, I wish I could say it was a 9 month sabbatical or a trip backpacking through Europe, but I can't. Truth? I've been smack-dab in the middle of a year long mid-life crises, or freak-out, or awakening, whatever term fits - maybe all of them. Not sure I'm even through it yet, to be honest. If any of you that used to be regular readers of my blog are still around, you know I was an organic farming, homeschooling, animal-raising, non-stop-energizer-bunny, married mom of 3 daughters.

Well, the daughters are still around, but most everything else looks pretty different around here. I'm taking a break from farming due mostly to the fact that I'm now working full-time at a non-profit, organic education service - a dream job that I feel very fortunate to have. My husband and I are trying to 'work out the kinks' so to speak and concentrating on finishing up our youngest daughter's last year of homeschooling before she heads off to high school.

It's been a challenging year. It's been quite a learning year. When you wake up one day, look around and think, "wait a minute. how did all this happen to me and am I sure this is what I want my life to be?" - after you've spent 20 years building that very kind of life you thought you wanted - it's a shock to the system, to say the least.

My heart is still in farming and raising animals, but economics require I can support myself with more than the farm can provide. So, I've decided to let some interns work my farm. This way, I can sit back, help with the knowledge I've accumulated over the years, watch these young kids who love farming be able to afford to do what they love, still get to eat great, organic food and embark on a whole new aspect of my life that I never thought was possible.

Gee, when I think of it that way, maybe the last year will be worth it after all!

How does all this tie in with the 'Ties' theme? As strange as it may seem and with all the changes in my life, I still feel 'tied' to this blogging community. I've lurked on many of your sites just to keep up with what's new and the happenings in your lives.

I'm anxious to get back in the saddle again. Ready to be 'tied' to all you great women again. So, here's to February blogging. It feels good to be back.

6 comments:

Allmycke said...

Welcome Back!
Your blog has been at the top of my Reader, so I wasn't about to miss your first post in some time.

Ev said...

Ditto and ditto! I've missed reading your adventures. I hope you stick around for a while.

Akkire said...

goodness! you're back! yay! i can't wait to hear more about your reflections on all these changes you've gone through. sounds like you've been soul searching Angie...

and do tell me more about this farm education non-profit. sounds wonderful.

Angie said...

Hi, Erikka! So great to see you are still coming around - thank you.

You asked me, 'how did you know?' Hmmm, that will take me a bit. I'll work on it and write a post soon.

My non-profit job is so great. I've been working with these people for about 8 years, but from a distance as their book sales coordinator for the conference, but to be in the actual office with them on a daily basis is awesome. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people is a great thing!

I can't wait to get over to your blog and see what you've been up to!

Unknown said...

Yay! I've often checked to see if you've posted- been wondering how you were and how the girls were doing. Great to see you back!

Life's been crazy for us since May also, and I've only been sporadically posting...lucky to do that much! :-D

So glad to hear about your non-profit work and the interns to keep up your farm. Sounds like a great plan!

KJ said...

Angie!!! Hooray!!! Just checked in. Glad you're back. Sounds like a very big year. Happy to hear that you landed on your feet.